Saturday, July 28, 2012

Cherry Tomatoes Round 2

Untitled

A few months before summer came, I planted four tomato seeds. I started them in a seed tray and then transplanted them.

Cherry Tomato Planter

I like to grow most of my seeds in seed starter trays. It is used to ensure more seeds germinate and survive, due to a more controlled environment. I have tried growing seeds directly in the garden, but have learned that they do not do well for me, where I live. Some seeds do not even germinate at all when I plant them directly into the ground. Here in Wahiawa, Hawaii, the ground can become too hot, too moist, and the air too humid. Growing the seeds in starter trays works wonders for me, and so I have stuck by them for the last 2 years.

I have noticed that the plants growing in the ground, bare a lot more fruit. Of course it grows much bigger than container grown ones, which probably is the reason why. The only problem for me is maintaining the growth. About every two weeks I have to cut some branches and leaves off, so that my plants don't get over grown. I assume, it will also allow for the plant to have more room to "live" and "breath." Air circulation is very important for them, as well as space.



Cherry Tomatoes (2nd batch)
I love cherry tomatoes because they grow so so fast. I have also learned that they last for a very long time. For me, in Hawaii, I have had about 3 harvests so far from my 4 plants, in 3 months. I am going to be planting some new seeds and starting a new batch of plants for winter. I believe they will do well, however will still suffer from mildew (like it did last year). - But I just need to remember to spray them with mildew preventing spray (homemade/natural/non-chemical).

In the picture to the right, I have two cherry tomato plants in the ground. I run the "branches" along the fence to allow them to grow long and wide. Like stated above, I trim off leaves and branches to ensure that the plant gets proper air circulation, and prevents mildew from growing on the leaves when a rainy spell hits.

I have learned to pick my tomatoes as soon as they start turning light orange. Otherwise, birds will flock to them and start feeding on them. I usually find two to three tomatoes with big holes in them because apparently the birds love them too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment