Monday, April 15, 2013

Paper pot maker

Do you like the jiffy peat pots, but don't like spending money on those refills? I do, and I figured out an alternative that's cheap fun and practical.

Behold, the paper pot maker! I learned about it on instagram, through a fellow gardener that I happened to be following. He made these cute paper pots to grow seeds in using a wooden mold. I looked it up on amazon and found various models ranging from $10 to $20+  and found one that was around $13 that shipped to Hawaii. I got it!

The way it works is, you use half of a piece of newspaper page, ripped into thirds. Take a strip and roll it up around the cylinder post of the pot basket. Food the bottom in like a present and then push it into the bottom of the wood base, twist it around a few times, while pressing firmly down. Slowly pull the new pot you've made off of the cylinder.

I have made over 30 pots with this method in one sitting. Its fun and rewarding. I scoop some soil into them and plant my seeds.

2 comments:

Tab said...

I am so so so happy to have found your blog! We moved to Oahu from Missouri last summer and I have been dreaming of gardening. I've never done it but I come from a long line of gardeners. All of their advice is rooted in Kansas/Missouri soil so I'm thrilled for all of the great info you have to share. We live in Mililani and our home has a wonderful raised garden area that is growing nothing but weeds. :/

Now I'm off to find you on instagram. Thanks again for all the great information!!!!!

Tab

Unknown said...

Tab! So thrilled that you liked what my blog has to offer! :-) I'll keep an eye out for you in instagram!

Post a Comment