Sunday, August 12, 2012

Zucchini FAIL

I started growing zucchini this summer. I was so excited, because I LOVE ZUCCHINI! I have been terribly disappointed with my growing results. I planted about ten zucchini seeds, not knowing how well they would germinate and grow. Well almost all of them grew! I had seven zucchini plants in my garden this summer.

Zucchini (first attempt)My zucchini plants suffered greatly from powdery mildew. I blame myself mostly, because number one: I had 7 zucchini plants planted very close together, in my small garden. There was not enough room for them all to grow substantially. And number two: I didn't maintain a good mildew prevention spray schedule. When the air got humid, the mildew grew and spread quickly. I kept having to cut leaves off. I feel like this was the beginning of the end for my zucchini plants.

So I cut all the leaves and stems off that were affected by the mildew, and I kept a close eye on it. The mildew however, spread like wild fire, and attacked my zucchini plants horrendously. The leaves were all blotchy and white, I felt like I would never see flowers, let alone a zucchini. Three of my plants grew but did not look good at all from the chopping off of mildew covered leaves. So I dug them up and tossed them away. The fourth one died. I guess it was just too hot and I wasn't giving it enough water.

My last three zucchini plants were transplanted into the ground, and finally baby zucchinis were beginning to emerge. I was so happy, but the happiness did not last. All three zucchini plants had blossom end rot, AND powdery mildew.

I am afraid to try growing them again, because I don't want the same thing to happen to my new batch. I have read that blossom end rot is brought on by calcium deficiency in the soil. So I am looking for all kinds of solutions for this. I have a hunch that maybe this is what is really wrong here. - My bell pepper plants suffered the same fate. The peppers would grow to a small size, and then rot. The pepper bush did not grow very big and strong either, which leads me to further believe that I have a case of low calcium soil. I have heard from others to use egg shells, or ground up sea shells to add calcium to my soil. I have also heard that I could mix in a chemical - lime. But I am skeptical about adding chemicals to my garden. I do not want to do that at all really. If I absolutely have to, it would be my very last resolution to this problem I am facing.

Anyone else have suggestions for me on this zucchini growing problem?

2 comments:

Noe said...

I think that the zucchini, when not fertilized, just grow to be a inch or so and then kind of rot. so it might just have been that? I grow in Haleiwa, and my zucchini problem has been some kind of caterpillar/larva/worm thing in the stems. Have you seen that?

Ron Safreed said...

Here in zone ten south Florida many back-yard gardeners "solarize the soil in late summer for at least 30 days because of the nematode problem in Florida! We use black painter's plastic 10 x 25 feet in size & this kills bugs/nematodes & other pest & disease problems! Soil solarization should help out in Hawaiilike in Florida! BTW I put a little bit of bagged cow manure to put back good bacteria into the soil after solarization!!!!!

Post a Comment