Saturday, April 27, 2013

Meet my "Kale Tree"

Have you ever seen a kale tree? Well it isn't really a tree. I have been growing my kale for over 6 months. This is what happens when you harvest the leaves and continue to let the stalk grow in the center.

Unfortunately after allowing my kale tree to grow to about 3 feet, I must now "chop" it down. My kale tree has been over taken by aphids. I believe that last week I saw there little green slimy eggs and this week, these ashy black specks, perhaps their poop? I don't know. I read that I could just wash it off and spray my plants with water and a pest solution (homemade), but I don't want to chance eating this kale after all this pest junk has been living on it and eating it.

Well...what do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aloha, I'm Meghan from Kailua. I found your blog a while ago and I love all your different posts. I've been gardening for a while, but recently I realized that I should be blogging about it like you do! Well anyway, I thought I would let you know that I am a frequent visitor! Also, here is a link to my new blog if you're interested. http://plantaeadventures.wordpress.com/
- Meghan

Unknown said...

Hi. Great blog. Thought I would share with you that I too, grow kale. Mine does not stand up like yours but lies down. As the plant matured, "baby" kale started to grow along the "naked" stem. Now I have several kale plants. Regarding the bug-eaten look...As long as there are not too many holes, no scales stuck on the leaves, etc.; I would rinse them in vinegar water and proceed with cooking them.
--Keeping this short. I spray my plants around every three days with dish soap mixed with water. It helps keep the bugs down.
--Lee

Unknown said...

Hi Lee!

Thank you for the advice! :) I will have to be more diligent when it comes to spraying my plants.

Post a Comment