Sunday, May 12, 2013

Growing Roots


My Confederate Rose "tree" blooms great! My problem was, it was potted... And it began to grow roots into the ground next to my house! So impulsiveness took over, and I found myself hacking away at the roots, for fear that eventually the tree would grow huge and start hitting the roof, which it already had begun to do. I managed to get my tree free from the ground and moved it to my yard. I had to trim the roots at the bottom of my pot, for it to stand up. At first, it just flopped over. I dug a shallow hole in the ground to bury my pot, in hopes of it rooting into its new spot. So we'll see.


I am worried that my tree won't take, and just die off. So I am trying to grow new trees from some of the branches. I researched a little online and did two things.

1) cut small slits into the branch at the base. 

2) dip it in honey. I have read from other gardeners that honey is a natural root hormone. Once I did this I filled a jar with some water and put the branches in. I'm crossing my fingers that the roots grow!
I have read that it is fairly easy to grow roots from branches, even with only water. 


So I will remain hopeful. - My dad had brought home a ti leaf tree branch and let it in water, and in a couple weeks, low and behold, roots! I just planted his little "tree" in a pot with soil and fertilizer today. It had a very nice root ball forming. :-)
Staying positive that the trees live and prosper!







0 comments:

Post a Comment