Friday, July 27, 2012

Powdery Mildew

Today was the first day, in 3 days that I could actually do something in my garden. But it wasn't all that fun.

I had to cut and get rid of a lot of my newly grown zinnia flowers. The leaves were covered in mildew patches due to the rain and humidity. I've read that you could use a homemade spray to prevent mildew from spreading, but if the leaves or plant already has spots, you need to cut them off and get rid of it, or the mildew will just keep spreading.


Untitled

So my zinnias went from huge to sparse. I was not happy. Once I got rid of the mildew stricken parts I sprayed the remaining ones down with my homemade spray of baking soda, water, dish washing soap, and vegetable oil. Let's hope this works. I'll re-apply in a couple days.


Untitled


Zinnia's went from this...



To this. :( 

Untitled

1 comments:

Ron Safreed said...

In Florida many home gardener's use black painter's plastic sheeting to "solarize the soil for 30 days before planting because of the nematode problem in Florida! However it also kills other pest & disease & putting a little bit of bagged cow manure afterwards helps to put back good bacteria in the soil before planting! Solarization of soil in Hawaii should work the same like in Florida !!!!!

Post a Comment