Sunday, August 12, 2012

Beets

For me, beets are one of the easiest vegetables to grow, aside from tomatoes. I just love beets to death. They are so sweet and delicious. I can't get enough of them. I love them in salads, or just by themselves. It is safe to say that I am addicted to beets.

I plant my beets in starter trays, just like my tomatoes, lettuce, kale, and radishes. Once the two leaves appear, I spray the trays down every day to keep the soil moist. I keep the tray on the side of my house, where seedlings can get sun for most of the day, but not get a huge, brutal amount of the sun's rays. I have learned that beets grow quickly as tiny sprouts, but take longer as they mature. They could take up to two months to get big and round like a baseball. I try to pick my beets when they are not so big, because I have read that since they are younger, they will be sweeter too.

Beets (2nd batch).

0 comments:

Post a Comment