Sunday, May 12, 2013

Growing yams

I recently discovered that some yams from Christmas time had been growing plants on them in my potato basket. I pulled them off carefully and stuck them in a cup of water.
After about three weeks, little roots started sprouting from them! You can imagine my excitement! I grabbed two large pots and filled the bottom with soil. Then I buried my three yam plants into the soil, with the tops sticking up. I pushed the soil down around them to compact it and watered it generously. Through my research I've read that unlike potatoes, yams tend to like more water.
I'm crossing my fingers that they grow well. Just like potatoes, I will add more soil to them as they grow taller.





UPDATE:

So here is an update of how my yams have progressed! 





Again, like with potatoes, I just added more soil to the plants to cover up the leaves/new growth. These grow super fast! I also watered daily to moisten the soil. I will be digging this up soon, and hopefully we'll see some yams!

0 comments:

Post a Comment